Peru Tourist Visa: Tarjeta Andina

The Tarjeta Andina de Migracion (TAM or Andean Migration Card) is the simplest form of Peru tourist “visa”. You will collect and fill in this little form when you enter Peru, be it by land or air. Not all nationalities can enter Peru on a TAM alone, so always check the exact requirements with an embassy before you travel.

About the Tarjeta Andina Peru Tourist Visa

If you are flying into Peru, a flight attendant will normally give you your Tarjeta Andina during the flight (if you do not receive a TAM, ask the attendant or pick one up when you land, before going through customs). If you are crossing into Peru by land, you can pick up the form at the border post.

HOW TO PERU TRAVEL TIP: Save money and stay safe when going to/from Lima Airport by using the Official Bus service inside the Airport called Airport Express Lima

The TAM Peru tourist visa entitles visitors to 183 days in Peru. However, border officials will not necessarily give you the full 183 days. If they are being moody or don’t like the look of you, they might stamp your TAM (and your passport) with a 30, 60 or 90 day visa. If they are being extra mean, they might ask for proof of onward travel before letting you enter Peru.

If you want the full amount, ask for it. If you smile and ask politely, most officials will happily give you the full amount. If they ask why you need the full amount, tell them you want to explore the beautiful and enchanting nation of Peru for as long as possible (or something similar, as long as it’s flattering).

Who Can Enter Peru With a Tarjeta Andina?

You can find a full list of national visa requirements at this Peruvian consulate website. If it says “NO” in the “Turista” column, you do not need any special type of visa (in which case the TAM will suffice). If it says “SI” in that column, you need a different type of Peru tourist visa, one that you must arrange and obtain before arriving. It is always a good idea to double-check the requirements with your local embassy.

What Does the TAM Peru Tourist Visa Look Like?

Well, it looks like this:

That is obviously an English language version. You may end up with a Spanish-language version, but it isn’t too difficult to figure it all out. You can print out your TAM in Spanish or English from the Migraciones Perú website (formerly DIGEMIN).

Completing the form is straightforward (any questions, ask below). When you arrive in Peru, you hand over your passport and your Tarjeta Andina. Both will be stamped – don’t forget to ask for the full 183 days if needed. The bottom third of the form will be handed back to you; the rest is kept by the border official.

Did you know - Lima gets VERY hot between January and May. Stay at Pool Paradise Lima to enjoy the sunshine!

Peru Tourist Visa: Keep it Safe

Whatever you do, don’t lose this little piece of paper. It’s not the end of the world, but you will probably have to head back to Lima to get a replacement copy. A replacement is not expensive, but it could be a lot of hassle, the kind that you don’t really need when you are travelling in Peru.

If you have questions, comments or additional details about the Tarjeta Andina or other Peru tourist visas, please use the comments section below. Thanks.

  39 comments for “Peru Tourist Visa: Tarjeta Andina

  1. Bryce Gutierrez
    August 6, 2011 at 10:30 am

    Hello, Im an American Citizen and i lost my trajeta Andina. What do i need to do to leave the country? i have a flight on monday!

  2. August 6, 2011 at 1:34 pm

    Hi Bryce,

    Normally, you’d head to immigrations in Breña and get a new one (I think it still costs about S/.9). Do you have time to head there on Monday before your flight? If not, I think it’s possible to get a new tarjeta andina at the airport, but I’m not 100% sure. According to this post on Expat Peru, you can get a replacement at the airport:

    Being Peru, however, you never know how much hassle that could be, so heading to Breña would be a better option if you have time. Here are some details about getting a replacement (see bottom of post):

    I wish I could give you some more concrete info, but I’ve never had to get a replacement myself. It might be worth asking on the Expat Peru forum – you normally get an answer pretty quickly, and might find someone who has been through the same situation recently.

    Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions here if you get stuck.

  3. Hector Zamalloa
    August 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

    I have Peruvian and American passport. My Peruvian passport is not longer valid. Can I get the TAM when I go to Lima, next week, then travel to Cusco, Puno. Can I use the TAM to visit Bolivia ? I am planning to go to Uyuni lake backpacking. I have to pay 135$ visa if I go to Bolivia using my american passport. I can’t use my Peruvian passport because I don’t have time to renew, I also have a valid DNI with my address in USA

  4. August 20, 2011 at 2:04 pm

    Hi Hector. If you are flying from the the USA to Lima, then you’ll get a TAM when you arrive in Lima (or you’ll be given one during the flight). When you exit Peru (to Bolivia), you will have to hand over your TAM to the Peruvian border official.

    If you have a valid Peruvian DNI, then I think you can use that to enter Bolivia (with no entry fee). If not, then you’ll have to use your US passport and pay the entry fee.

    Is there no kind of rapid passport renewal sytem in Peru? In the UK, you can pay more money and get a new passport in a few days (I think). If there is such a system, it might be worth paying for a quick passport renewal rather than spending $135 to enter Bolivia.

    Hope that helps a little.

    • Hector
      June 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm

      Thanks Tony for your answer. I was able to get a new Peruvian passport in one day. I never thought that could happen in Peru, but it happen. I was able to travel with my Peruvian passport I also could make it with my DNI.


      • June 6, 2012 at 8:30 pm

        No problem, good to hear it all worked out well. A new Peruvian passport in one day! If only everything was that quick…!

    • Maria
      August 25, 2015 at 4:06 pm

      What it better ? Use my Peruvian Passport or American Passport. You have some difference.
      I am reserved hotel in machupichu and tell my if I have TAM I will not pay taxes…
      How is working this?

      • August 26, 2015 at 9:30 am

        Hi Maria. I’d imagine that overall there won’t be much difference, but using your Peruvian passport is probably easier. I don’t know anything about any tax differences.

  5. Hanna
    November 19, 2012 at 3:24 am

    What do I mark as occupation if I am on a Gap Year?
    Thank you!

    • November 19, 2012 at 8:34 am

      Hi Hanna. You could just write “student” as your occupation. To be honest, I don’t think any border officials pay attention to those kind of details (you could probably leave it blank and have no problems). When I traveled using a tarjeta andina, I always put “writer” as my occupation, even though I wasn’t writing professionally back then. No one ever asked me for more info.

  6. Meghan
    December 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm

    I’m a resident of Peru (I have my carnet de extanjeria) and I have had it for one year. Do I still need a TAM to leave for vacation? I have no idea where it could be :s

    • December 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm

      Hi Meghan. No, you won’t need your old TAM to exit Peru now that you have your carnet de extranjeria. I went to the UK a few months ago, also had a look for my old TAM but couldn’t find it. Maybe we handed over our old TAMs when we applied for/received our carnets?

      Just make sure your carnet is all up-to-date before you leave.

      Cheers, Tony.

  7. Tina
    February 6, 2014 at 9:45 am

    I’m resident USA, when making some hotel reservations, they say, you need a passport and TAM card when checking into hotel. Why? Do you need to log where you lodge every time you change hotels?
    Thank you

    • February 20, 2014 at 5:35 pm

      Hi Tina. It’s normal to show a passport when checking-in to hotels in Peru (Peruvians normally have to show their national ID cards), but I’ve never been asked to show my TAM. And if you’re booking from the USA, you wouldn’t even have a TAM yet, so it doesn’t seem too logical. And no, you don’t need to log where you stay.

      Thanks, Tony.

  8. Casey blanchard
    August 13, 2014 at 6:35 am

    Hi, I’ve just been looking at the form and no. 15 name of carrier….does this just mean your name again? I’m hoping to visit Peru next year :). Thanks casey.

    • August 13, 2014 at 8:33 am

      Hi Casey. “Name of Carrier” is the name of the transport company that’s bringing you into the country. So if you fly with Delta Airlines, for example, you’d just put Delta. If you enter overland, you’d put the name of the bus company.

      Cheers, Tony.

  9. August 19, 2014 at 2:17 pm

    Hi Tony,
    I am a US Citizen and I am wondering what to do if I arrived in Lima today and the immigrations officer stamped my passport/TAM for 60 days. I am planning on staying as long as 150 days.

    • August 20, 2014 at 12:22 pm

      Hi Susan,

      Unfortunately, you’re pretty much stuck with the 60 days. In other words, you won’t be able to extend your TAM without leaving and re-entering Peru. You can either overstay the allotted 60 days and pay the one dollar a day fine for the additional days (to be paid when exiting Peru), or you can do a border hop (exit Peru into Ecuador, Chile or Bolivia and come back into Peru the next day — making sure you ask for at least 90 more days).



  10. Drew
    November 19, 2014 at 5:35 pm

    I lost my TAM card. Can I get a new one in Trujillo cause I’m planning on heading to ecuador via land border and don’t wany to go back to Lima.

    • November 23, 2014 at 5:43 pm

      Hi Drew. As far as I know, you can’t get a replacement in Trujillo. But you might be able to do it in Chiclayo, where there is an immigrations office. You can try calling them on 074 206838.

  11. Emma
    December 28, 2014 at 9:52 pm

    I’m planning on teaching in Peru on a tourist visa this coming year, but have heard that sometimes immigration asks for proof of leaving the country (such as a plane or bus ticket out), before issuing a visa. Any experience to confirm or contradict this?

    • December 29, 2014 at 10:14 am

      Hi Emma. Good question and one that’s tricky to answer. From personal experience, I’ve flown in to Peru once on a one-way ticket and didn’t have any problems. In general, I’d say that most immigration officials are highly unlikely to ask you for any proof of onward travel — I’ve never been asked, either entering by air or land. The problem is the lack of consistency and the whims of individual border officials. If they want to be a pain, they can ask. Even then, I’m fairly certain that you could talk your way out of the situation. Tell them that you’re traveling to Bolivia or wherever next by bus and it’s too early to book the ticket online (something like that). Alternatively, and if you wanted some backup paperwork, you could try to purchase an international bus ticket in advance — the shortest and cheapest route possible, maybe Tacna to Arica, for example (the problem here is trying to reserve a ticket more than a few months in advance). I have to be a little cautious with what I say here — but if a close friend of mine asked me the same question, I’d tell them not to worry about it. Hope that helps, and feel free to ask more questions (and let me know how things turn out!).

      • Emma
        December 29, 2014 at 4:01 pm

        Thanks, Tony!
        Advice that doesn’t pressure me to change my plans is my favorite type of advice.
        Assuming I get in to the country, I’m sure you’ll be hearing more from me soon as I try to bumble my way around Peru. Fantastic blog!

  12. Tracey
    May 27, 2015 at 1:26 pm

    Hi Tony, I have been reading your great advice. We will be travelling from NZ to Peru for a stay of about 44 days. My question is about #7 in the bottom portion about money, do they want to know how much you have with you. or have to support yourself?. What should I write?. We will be staying with family. How much does a TAM card cost?. I guess we will need to ask for the 44 days?.

    • May 28, 2015 at 9:05 am

      Hi Tracey. Just leave it blank, that’s what I always did when I traveled with a TAM. No one ever said anything about it. If they do ask you about it when you exit Peru (you keep the bottom section until you exit the country), just scribble something down, maybe a rough approximation of what you think you spent.

      The TAM doesn’t cost anything. You’ll probably be given one on the plane before arriving (if not, pick one up in the airport); fill it in before landing and then hand it over with your passport to the immigrations official. It’s normally a very simple process. You’ll probably be given 90 or 180 days — it varies depending on the whims of the official. Ask them for 90 days just to be sure they don’t do something silly like give you 30 days (which is unlikely).

      Have a good trip!

  13. Bieke
    July 27, 2015 at 9:07 am

    Hello Tony,

    My boyfriend and I will be travelling through South-America for 4 months, and we start and finish in Lima. I suppose we have to hand in the TAM document if we cross a border, but can we get another one without problems a month later?


    • July 27, 2015 at 10:00 am

      Hi Bieke,

      Yeah, you’ll hand over your TAM when you exit Peru, then be given a new one to fill in when you re-enter. You shouldn’t have any problems at all — you’re allowed a maximum of 183 days in Peru per year.

      Have a good trip!

  14. carole
    November 16, 2015 at 2:11 pm

    We are Americans living in Ecuador. We have Ecuadorian cedulas. Can we use our cedulas instead of our USA passports?

    • November 17, 2015 at 8:43 am

      Hi Carole,

      Honestly, I’m not too sure. If the Ecuadorian cedula is like the Peruvian foreign resident card, then yes, you should be able to travel to some South American countries (especially the Andean nations, which seem to have some kind of easy access thing going on between them). But… I don’t know much about the Ecuadorian cedula, so you should probably check with the immigrations office in Ecuador.

      Thanks, Tony.

  15. Ashley
    December 20, 2015 at 12:11 pm

    Tony, is the TAM required to get into Michu picchu? I read on a website that we can’t enter without it

    • January 7, 2016 at 9:04 am

      Hi Ashley. I’ve never heard of a TAM being required for entry into Machu Picchu. Normally they just want to look at your passport.

  16. bill
    March 13, 2016 at 5:49 am

    what U.S. crimes will keep you from visiting Peru.

  17. Kate
    June 30, 2016 at 4:23 am

    Hi Tony, great blog. My son just got to Peru, and left his TA papers on the plane to Cusco. When everyone was off the plane, a worker went in to look for them, but didn’t find them (he got replacement ones). Now I’m wondering if his identity could be stolen, if someone picked them up? Just another thing for a mother to worry about!

    • June 30, 2016 at 7:40 am

      Hi Kate. I’ve been living in Peru for seven years and my mum still worries about me! As for the risk of identity theft, I’d say it’s highly unlikely. Most likely one of the cleaners picked up the TAM and threw it away. I’m no expert when it comes to ID theft, so I don’t know what someone could do with the info on a TAM. I guess there’s a risk, so it’s worth bearing in mind in case you ever see or hear something suspicious in the next few months (for example, if you receive a phone call from Peru with someone claiming to know your son; that’s a phone scam that happens on rare occasions). But overall, I don’t think you should worry about it. If I left a completed TAM on a plane, I wouldn’t worry. Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns. Tony.

  18. Kim
    December 13, 2016 at 4:58 pm

    Hi Tony! We have been in Peru for about 10 days and have had no issues with our immigration card, however we just got to Puira and the hotel receptionist told us that because our immigration card is not stamped with a date we have to pay the 18% Peruvian fees. Should our card have been stamped in the Lima airport when we arrived 11 days ago? We have stayed at 5 hotels in that time and we have not had any issues yet. Do we need to be concerned we will be charged the 18% at our next hotels? Thanks!

    • Ana
      December 19, 2016 at 8:02 am

      Hi Kim,

      Usually the Immigration Officers should stamp both the TAM and the passport, not sure how they missed yours. The requirements in order to get the tax exempt is turning in both stamped documents with a clear date on them. Some hotels would let that slide as they are looking to get business in, so usually what they look at is mainly the stamp on your passport. Hopefully your next accommodation won’t be as strict. Good Luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *