Lima to Puno by Bus
Lima to Puno by Bus: 2019 updated information about Bus Schedules, Bus Safety, and the Best Bus Companies to take!
A bus from Lima to Puno takes around 21 hours. Below we have detailed information about bus safety, the best bus companies and what other benefits you should look out for when choosing the best bus from Lima to Puno.
Lima to Puno is a very long journey which should be broken up with stops in the south of Peru, such as at Paracas, Huacachina Oasis, or Arequipa. The other way to get from is by plane to the Juliaca Airport and then a bus or taxi to Puno however this can be expensive and not so safe. Below is some information you should consider when trying to choose the best bus company for this route. NOTE: Keep in mind that some Public buses don’t go directly to Puno and usually switch buses in Arequipa.
To take a bus from Lima to Puno you have 2 main options:
1 – Public Bus (e.g. Civa)
2 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
The schedule and departure times of buses from Lima to Puno are as follows:
|COMPANIES||SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSISTANCE||TRIPADVISOR RATING|
|PERU HOP||DAILY||6:00, 7:00||HOTEL PICK UP & DROP OFF||YES||98%|
|CIVA||DAILY||12:00, 13:30||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO||N/A|
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Do they collect you at your hotel or hostel?
- Some bus companies, and all hop on hop off companies, do actually pick you up at your hotel, thus offering a much safer and secure service rather than taking local taxis
- How is their safety record?
- Simply put the name of the bus company, and the word “accident” or “hijacking” into google and see which companies are the best.
- What onboard facilities do they have?
- Tv´s, toilets (clean!!), semi-cama or cama seats…all of these things will help decide which is the best company
- What is hop on hop off?
- A ticket for a hop on hop off bus covers all journeys that the bus company takes. Rather than paying for all bus journeys separately, hop on hop off tickets allow passengers to board as many buses as they want and stay in destinations for as long as they please. They have been described worldwide as the best way to experience all that a country has to offer, and such has been the feedback from those who boarded the Peruvian hop on hop off buses. For more information click here.
- Other benefits?
- Some bus companies have loyalty points schemes (e.g. Cruz del Sur) and others have accommodation and other discounts (e.g. Peru Hop) so shop around and see what other benefits you get with each company
Lima to Puno by bus is a long journey that should be broken up with stops along the south of Peru via Arequipa. Just choose the best bus company and enjoy the journey!
Quick Tip: If travelling to or from the airport in Lima. There is now a direct bus link between there and Miraflores via the new official Airport Express Lima. These new buses have free wifi and usb charging ports at every seat and best of all tickets are as cheap as $9 usd one way.