Cusco to La Paz by Bus
Cusco to La Paz by Bus: 2023 updated information about Bus Schedules, Bus Safety, and the Best Bus Companies to take!
A bus from Cusco to La Paz takes around 16 hours when all the border crossings are factored in. The journey should be broken up with stops at Lake Titicaca in either Puno or Copacabana or both. Below we have detailed information about bus safety, the best bus companies and what other benefits you should look out for when choosing the best bus from Cusco to La Paz.
The main gateway from Cusco to La Paz is via Puno. Puno is home to the Peruvian side of Lake Titicaca and is definitely worth at least a morning stop to visit the incredible floating islands. From Puno, you will then make your way to the border, where after crossing the notoriously difficult Bolivian Border, you will arrive to the Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca called Copacabana. Copacabana is home to the Isla del Sol and is a must see on any trip from Cusco to La Paz. Below is some information you should consider when trying to choose the best bus company for this route.
To take a bus from Cusco to La Paz you have 2 main options:
1 – Public Bus (e.g. Inka express, Trans Salvador)
2 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
The schedule and departure times of buses from Cusco to La Paz are as follows:
|COMPANIES||SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSISTANCE||TRIPADVISOR RATING|
|PERU HOP||DAILY||22:00||PRIVATE TERMINAL||YES||98%|
|INKA EXPRESS||DAILY||22:30||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO||85%|
|TRANS - SALVADOR||DAILY||22:00||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO||10%|
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Do they collect you at your hotel or hostel?
- Some bus companies, and all hop on hop off companies, do actually pick you up at your hotel, thus offering a much safer and secure service rather than taking local taxis
- How is their safety record?
- Simply put the name of the bus company, and the word “accident” or “hijacking” into google and see which companies are the best.
- What onboard facilities do they have?
- Tv´s, toilets (clean!!), semi-cama or cama seats…all of these things will help decide which is the best company
- What is hop on hop off?
- A ticket for a hop on hop off bus covers all journeys that the bus company takes. Rather than paying for all bus journeys separately, hop on hop off tickets allow passengers to board as many buses as they want and stay in destinations for as long as they please. They have been described worldwide as the best way to experience all that a country has to offer, and such has been the feedback from those who boarded the Peruvian hop on hop off buses. For more information click here.
- Other benefits?
- Some bus companies have loyalty points schemes (e.g. Cruz del Sur) and others have accommodation and other discounts (e.g. Peru Hop) so shop around and see what other benefits you get with each company
Cusco to La Paz by bus is usually a pleasant journey however it is recommended to know what you would need at the border to avoid any delays. Bolivia Hop is probably the best option due to their border crossing assistance and stops along the way.