Cusco to Puno by Bus
Cusco To Puno by Bus: 2023 updated information about Bus Schedules, Bus Safety, and the Best Bus Companies to take!
A bus from Cusco to Puno usually takes around 6 hours on a direct bus and is usually an overnight journey. It is recommended to depart Cusco at around 10pm to arrive into Puno at around 6am, in time for any Lake Titicaca Tours which usually begin around 7am. There are 2 other options to get to Puno from Cusco;
- by plane via Juliaca
- or by taking the new Andean Explorer, a luxury train.
Both options can be really expensive but are always an option if you are very short on time.
To take a bus from Cusco to Puno you have 2 main options:
1 – Public Bus (e.g. Cruz del Sur, Inka Express)
2 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
The schedule and departure times of buses from Cusco to Puno are as follows:
|ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSITANCE
|CRUZ DEL SUR
|08:00 and 22:00
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Do they collect you at your hotel or hostel?
- Some bus companies, and all hop on hop off companies, do actually pick you up at your hotel, thus offering a much safer and secure service rather than taking local taxis
- How is their safety record?
- Simply put the name of the bus company, and the word “accident” or “hijacking” into google and see which companies are the best.
- What onboard facilities do they have?
- Tv´s, toilets (clean!!), semi-cama or cama seats…all of these things will help decide which is the best company
- What is hop on hop off?
- A ticket for a hop on hop off bus covers all journeys that the bus company takes. Rather than paying for all bus journeys separately, hop on hop off tickets allow passengers to board as many buses as they want and stay in destinations for as long as they please. They have been described worldwide as the best way to experience all that a country has to offer, and such has been the feedback from those who boarded the Peruvian hop on hop off buses. For more information click here.
- Other benefits?
- Some bus companies have loyalty points schemes (e.g. Cruz del Sur) and others have accommodation and other discounts (e.g. Peru Hop) so shop around and see what other benefits you get with each company
Cusco to Puno by bus is usually a pleasant journey on a direct smooth road. Just choose the best bus company and enjoy the journey!