Puno to Lima by Bus
Puno to Lima by Bus: 2022 updated information about Bus Schedules, Bus Safety, and the Best Bus Companies to take!
A bus from Puno to Lima takes around 20 hours. Below we have detailed information about bus safety, the best bus companies and what other benefits you should look out for when choosing the best bus from Puno to Lima.
Puno to Lima is usually via Arequipa and it is a great trip with amazing landscapes as you descend from the mountains. The other option to get from Puno to Lima is by plane, from the Juliaca airport, which is an hour away from Puno. This can turn into an expensive option especially if we add all the extra transportation fees. Below is some information you should consider when trying to choose the best bus company for this route. NOTE: Keep in mind that some Public buses don’t go directly from Puno to Lima and usually switch buses in Arequipa.
To take a bus from Puno to Lima you have 2 main options:
1 – Public Bus (e.g. Civa, Transzela)
2 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
The schedule and departure times of buses from Puno to Lima are as follows:
|COMPANIES||SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSITANCE||TRIPADVISOR RATING|
|PERU HOP||DAILY||21:30||HOTEL PICK-UP & DROP-OFF||YES||98%|
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Do they collect you at your hotel or hostel?
- Some bus companies, and all hop on hop off companies, do actually pick you up at your hotel, thus offering a much safer and secure service rather than taking local taxis
- How is their safety record?
- Simply put the name of the bus company, and the word “accident” or “hijacking” into google and see which companies are the best.
- What onboard facilities do they have?
- Tv´s, toilets (clean!!), semi-cama or cama seats…all of these things will help decide which is the best company
- What is hop on hop off?
- A ticket for a hop on hop off bus covers all journeys that the bus company takes. Rather than paying for all bus journeys separately, hop on hop off tickets allow passengers to board as many buses as they want and stay in destinations for as long as they please. They have been described worldwide as the best way to experience all that a country has to offer, and such has been the feedback from those who boarded the Peruvian hop on hop off buses. For more information click here.
- Other benefits?
- Some bus companies have loyalty points schemes (e.g. Cruz del Sur) and others have accommodation and other discounts (e.g. Peru Hop) so shop around and see what other benefits you get with each company
Puno to Lima by bus is usually a pleasant journey with great places to visit along the way, the road is for the most part in good condition. Just choose the best bus company and enjoy the journey!
Quick Tip: If travelling to or from the airport in Lima. There is now a direct bus link between there and Miraflores via the new official Airport Express Lima. These new buses have free wifi and usb charging ports at every seat and best of all tickets are as cheap as $9 usd one way.