Lima to Arequipa by Bus
Lima to Arequipa by Bus: 2019 updated information about Bus Schedules, Bus Safety, and the Best Bus Companies to take!
A bus from Lima to Arequipa usually takes around 16 hours and is mainly a straight trip down the pacific coast. It is usually recommended to break up this long journey with stops along the way, such as at Paracas and Huacachina Oasis. The other option is taking a 90 minute flight to Arequipa that can end up being really expensive if you add the taxi costs to and from the airports.
To take a bus from Cusco to La Paz you have 2 main options:
1 – Public Bus (e.g. Cruz del Sur, Tepsa)
2 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
The schedule and departure times of buses from Lima to Arequipa are as follows:
|COMPANIES||SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSITANCE||TRIPADVISOR RATING|
|PERU HOP||DAILY||06:00, 07:00||HOTEL PICK-UP & DROP OFF||YES||98%|
|CRUZ DEL SUR||DAILY||06:30,14:30, 16:30||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO||76%|
|TEPSA||DAILY||18:00, 20:30||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO||N/A|
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Do they collect you at your hotel or hostel?
- Some bus companies, and all hop on hop off companies, do actually pick you up at your hotel, thus offering a much safer and secure service rather than taking local taxis
- How is their safety record?
- Simply put the name of the bus company, and the word “accident” or “hijacking” into google and see which companies are the best.
- What onboard facilities do they have?
- Tv´s, toilets (clean!!), semi-cama or cama seats…all of these things will help decide which is the best company
- What is hop on hop off?
- A ticket for a hop on hop off bus covers all journeys that the bus company takes. Rather than paying for all bus journeys separately, hop on hop off tickets allow passengers to board as many buses as they want and stay in destinations for as long as they please. They have been described worldwide as the best way to experience all that a country has to offer, and such has been the feedback from those who boarded the Peruvian hop on hop off buses. For more information click here.
- Other benefits?
- Some bus companies have loyalty points schemes (e.g. Cruz del Sur) and others have accommodation and other discounts (e.g. Peru Hop) so shop around and see what other benefits you get with each company
If you want to keep on planning your trip to Arequipa, then check out our blog on best hostels in Arequipa!
Lima to Arequipa by bus is usually a pleasant journey but it is strongly recommended to make some stops along the way such us at Paracas and Huacachina Oasis. Just choose the best bus company and enjoy the journey!
Quick Tip: If travelling to or from the airport in Lima. There is now a direct bus link between there and Miraflores via the new official Airport Express Lima. These new buses have free wifi and usb charging ports at every seat and best of all tickets are as cheap as $9 usd one way.