Many government-run websites provide a free travel registration service, letting you register your upcoming trip to a foreign destination. The potential benefits of travel registration are worth the few minutes spent completing the form online:
- Your government will contact the appropriate embassy in your intended destination, letting them know of your imminent arrival.
- Embassy staff can contact you in the event of a catastrophe, such as a natural disaster or severe civil unrest in your travel destination. They will know you’re in the region and can contact both you and your family in the event of a crisis.
- After registering, many travel services will contact you with important travel advisories relevant to your destination.
- Your goverment will contact you in the event of a family emergency back home.
Government Travel Registration Services:
Below is an incomplete list of government-operated travel registration services. If you know of more such services, please add them in the comments section below (ideally with a link to the appropriate page).
- Australia (Smartraveller)
- Canada (Registration of Canadians Abroad)
- Ireland (Travel Registration)
- Italy (Segnala il Tuo Viaggio)
- New Zealand (Safe Travel)
- Spain (Registro en Línea)
- UK — the UK ended its LOCATE travel registration service in May 2013. See report and alternative services.
- USA (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP))