Welcome to the Peru Quick Start page. Here you can browse through a selection of key HowtoPeru articles, conveniently ordered by category and particularly useful for first time travelers in Peru. If you can’t find the information you’re looking for, search the site using the search box located to the right (just about over there somewhere >>>).
Before You Go to Peru
Planning, packing and other top tips for before you travel to Peru.
- Things to Do Before Going to Peru
- Packing for Peru: The Bare Essentials
- Peru Tourist Visa: Tarjeta Andina
- The Classic Peru Itinerary
- Peru Alone or With Friends?
- Traveling with a Laptop in Peru
- Electricity and Plugs in Peru
Food and Drink
Tips for eating well on a backpacker’s budget, as well as the all-important issue of beer…
- Eating in Peru on a Budget
- The Peruvian Lunch Menu
- Best Peru Beer Poll
- The Peruvian Beer-Drinking Tradition
- Inca Food, Past and Present
Health and Safety in Peru
Ah, you reckless adventurers! Stay safe on the road with these healthy tips.
- Peru Safety Travel Tips
- Tap Water in Peru
- Altitude Sickness in Peru
- Scams and Pickpockets in Peru
- Vaccinations for Peru
- Rabies Vaccination for Peru
- The Most Dangerous Cities in Peru
Getting Around Peru
Getting around Peru is an adventure in itself. Read more about transport in Peru.
- Airlines in Peru
- Airports in Peru
- Peru Bus Travel Tips
- The Best Bus Companies in Peru
- Lima to Cusco by Bus
- Taxis in Peru
- Peru–Chile Border Crossing Scam
Are your language skills limited to “No gracias”? It’s time to learn a few more words…
- Do You Need to Learn Spanish For Peru?
- Peruvian Slang
- Spanish Tongue Twisters
- Football/Soccer Vocabulary
- Gringo Definition and Origin
Etiquette in Peru
Avoid those uncomfortable etiquette issues with some key cultural pointers.