Electricity and Plugs in Peru

The supply voltage in Peru is 220 volts at 60 hertz. Before you plug in any appliance that you’ve brought from home, make sure it can handle it. A great way to kill a 110-volt appliance is to fry it at 220 volts.

If you’re traveling with a laptop in Peru, most laptop power supplies can accept both 110 and 220 volts, but always check beforehand. If you have an appliance that won’t take 220 volts, here are your options:

• leave it at home (do you really need hair straighteners?)
  • leave it at home and buy a new one in Peru
  • buy a voltage converter.

Travel voltage converters are a bit bulky, but it may be your best option. If you need one, buy it before you leave for Peru (you can buy travel voltage converters on Amazon for about US$10 to $20).

Plugs in Peru

There are two types of plugs in Peru (with corresponding electrical outlets):

• Type A: two flat parallel prongs (used in most of North America; if your North American Type A plug has one prong wider than the other, it will probably not work in Peru)
  • Type C: two round prongs (used in much of Europe, but not in the UK or Ireland)

Electrical outlets in Peru are often designed to incorporate both plug types (see image below).

If you’re packing appliances that do not fit either socket, you’ll need a plug adapter. I use a FujiFilm World Travel Adapter; it’s a bit excessive if you’re only going to one country, but it’s compact and perfect if you’re planning on traveling throughout South America or beyond.

You can also buy plug adapters with built-in surge protectors. If you want that extra layer of protection, it’s probably a good investment when you’re traveling in countries like Peru.

peru-plug-socket

A round-prong Peru plug. The socket accepts both round- and flat-pronged plugs (photo © Tony Dunnell)

peru plugs

A Type A plug with two flat parallel prongs, as used throughout Peru (photo © Tony Dunnell)

peruhop-ad2

11 comments for “Electricity and Plugs in Peru

1. Susan
    March 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Hi Tony,
    Good info, but I’ll add a little more. Most US plugs have two different blades, one wider than the other. In past years, my 3-prong adapter from home, needed for my laptop, worked. But this year (a NEW house!) the outlets wouldn’t accept it. I bought an adapter at a hardware store for about $1.

• March 6, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Hi Susan, good to hear from you!

So, a standard two-bladed (flat prong) US plug won’t necessarily fit a Peruvian socket? I’m not too familiar with US plugs (being a three-pronged Englishman).

It’s probably best to always have an adapter — it’s annoying when you’ve got a perfectly acceptable flat-pronged plug but the only socket in your hotel is for round prongs. Very annoying!

2. Herb
    March 8, 2012 at 6:27 am

Hi Tony,
    Susan is correct about the flat plugs in the USA. They are larger on one side than the other to make sure the plug is inserted properly. Many electrical plugs do not have a ground ( the third round thing on a plug ) such as the one in your photo. The only electrical things I have brought in my 3 visits are a computer and camera, both of which work off 220 or 110 so no issues there. An adapter is a wise piece to include in your kit of “can’t do without items”.

Herb

• March 13, 2012 at 9:02 am

Thanks Herb! That’s good to know. And thanks again Susan, much appreciated.

3. Star Bar
    April 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Hey Tony im coming from ireland we use the same as the uk do i just need an adapter so?

• April 25, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Hi Star Bar. Yep, you should be fine with just a plug adapter. I have a few electrical items that I brought with me from the UK — my laptop, hair clippers, mobile phone with charger etc — all of which I use with just a fairly standard world plug adapter. No voltage conversion necessary.

• Star Bar
        May 1, 2012 at 9:21 am

brilliant, thanks for clearing that up for me… peace

4. Sara
    October 29, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Please please please can someone tell me where to buy an adapter in Peru?! My computer has a standard 3 prong grounded plug.

• October 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Hi Sara. Where are you right now? If you’re in Lima, I guess you can find a universal adapter in a large electronics store, or maybe a store selling travel accessories. I’m sure you’ll find somewhere in Miraflores, but you might have to ask around. I can’t think of anywhere specific right now (apart from the airport shops). I’ll let you know if I think of something.

5. Thirumalai T
    August 20, 2014 at 11:48 am

Hi,
    I would be travelling to Peru next week from US. I have some questions regarding Peru.
    Do we need to carry any voltage converters or plug adapters for my cell phones and laptop ?
    Will the accessories used in US be compatible in Peru ?
    Is language a barrier to move around in Lima ? I mean, do people understand English there
    or is it mostly Spanish ?

Thanks

Thirumalai

• August 20, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Hi Thirumalai. You shouldn’t need a voltage converter for your laptop, as modern laptops typically take 110 and 220 volts (they are dual voltage). You’ll just need a plug adapter. I’m not too sure about cell phones — it might depend on the model. Best to ask a local electrician or cell phone store if your phone is dual voltage.

You’ll find multilingual staff in many hotels, travel agencies and some restaurants in Lima, but for taxis and buses and general day-to-day interactions it’s almost entirely Spanish-speaking.

Cheers,