Puno to La Paz by Bus: 2018 updated information about Bus Schedules, Bus Safety, and the Best Bus Companies to take!
A bus from Puno to La Paz takes around 5 hours. Below we have detailed information about bus safety, the best bus companies and what other benefits you should look out for when choosing the best bus from Puno to La Paz.
Puno to La Paz is usually via Copacabana, and offers some great stops along the way. Since you will be crossing the Bolivian border, make sure you are aware of all the paperwork needed. The other option will be flying from Juliaca to La Paz which can be more expensive taking all the taxi fees into consideration. Below is some information you should consider when trying to choose the best bus company for this route.
To take a bus from Puno to La Paz you have 2 main options:
1 – Public Bus (e.g. Inka Express)
2 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
The schedule and departure times of buses from Puno to La Paz are as follows:
|COMPANIES||SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSITANCE||TRIPADVISOR RATING|
|INKA EXPRESS||DAILY||06:00, 07:30 and 14:00||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO||85%|
|PERU HOP||DAILY||08:30||HOTEL PICK-UP & DROP-OFF||YES||98%|
|GREEN TOAD||WEEKLY||14:00||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO||N/A|
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Do they collect you at your hotel or hostel?
- Some bus companies, and all hop on hop off companies, do actually pick you up at your hotel, thus offering a much safer and secure service rather than taking local taxis
- How is their safety record?
- Simply put the name of the bus company, and the word “accident” or “hijacking” into google and see which companies are the best.
- What onboard facilities do they have?
- Tv´s, toilets (clean!!), semi-cama or cama seats…all of these things will help decide which is the best company
- What is hop on hop off?
- A ticket for a hop on hop off bus covers all journeys that the bus company takes. Rather than paying for all bus journeys separately, hop on hop off tickets allow passengers to board as many buses as they want and stay in destinations for as long as they please. They have been described worldwide as the best way to experience all that a country has to offer, and such has been the feedback from those who boarded the Peruvian hop on hop off buses. For more information click here.
- Other benefits?
- Some bus companies have loyalty points schemes (e.g. Cruz del Sur) and others have accommodation and other discounts (e.g. Peru Hop) so shop around and see what other benefits you get with each company
Puno to La Paz by bus is usually a pleasant journey and the road is in good conditions for the most part. Just choose the best bus company and enjoy the journey! Bolivia Hop is probably the best option due to their border crossing assistance and stops along the way.