Lima to La Paz by Bus: 2018 updated information about Bus Schedules, Bus Safety, and the Best Bus Companies to take!
There are no direct buses from Lima to La Paz. Most companies make stops along the way as it is a very long journey which should be broken up with stops at various destinations along the way. Below we have detailed information about bus safety, the best bus companies and what other benefits you should look out for when choosing the best bus from Lima to La Paz.
To get to La Paz from Lima by bus, you will need to cover the whole South of Peru, stopping at places such as Paracas, Huacachina Oasis and Arequipa. All of these destinations are highly recommended, so take your time to experience Peru as you make you way into their neighbouring country Bolivia. NOTE: Keep in mind that some Public buses don’t go directly to La Paz and usually switch buses in Puno.
To take a bus from Lima to La Paz you have 2 main options:
1 – Public Bus (e.g. Oltursa)
2 – Hop on hop off bus (e.g. Peru Hop, Green Toad Bus)
The schedule and departure times of buses from Lima to La Paz are as follows:
|COMPANIES||SCHEDULE||DEPARTURE TIME||DEPARTURE LOCATION||ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSITANCE|
|OLTURSA||DAILY||07:30, 16:00, 18:45 and 20:00||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO|
|PERU HOP||DAILY||06:00 and 07:00||HOTEL PICK-UP & DROP OFF||YES|
|GREEN TOAD||DAILY||03:45||PUBLIC TERMINAL||NO|
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO HELP CHOOSE WHAT BUS COMPANY TO TAKE:
- Do they collect you at your hotel or hostel?
- Some bus companies, and all hop on hop off companies, do actually pick you up at your hotel, thus offering a much safer and secure service rather than taking local taxis
- How is their safety record?
- Simply put the name of the bus company, and the word “accident” or “hijacking” into google and see which companies are the best.
- What onboard facilities do they have?
- Tv´s, toilets (clean!!), semi-cama or cama seats…all of these things will help decide which is the best company
- Other benefits?
- Some bus companies have loyalty points schemes (e.g. Cruz del Sur) and others have accommodation and other discounts (e.g. Peru Hop) so shop around and see what other benefits you get with each company
Lima to La Paz by bus should be broken up with overnight stops along the way. Flights can be very expensive as they are international flights. Just choose the best bus company and enjoy the journey!
Quick Tip: If travelling to or from the airport in Lima. There is now a direct bus link between there and Miraflores via the new official Airport Express Lima. These new buses have free wifi and usb charging ports at every seat and best of all tickets are as cheap as $9 usd one way.